Cathedral Academy is an evangelical Christian school in North Charleston, SC. CA is celebrating its 19th year as an educational ministry of Cathedral of Praise, a large non-denominational church. Our school mission and vision is to partner with families in our area for the sake of Kingdom Education. CA is fully accredited by ACSI, AdvanceEd, and the South Carolina Independent School Association and serves close to 300 students in grades K4-12.
Cathedral Academy a PK4-12 Christian preparatory school located in North Charleston, SC, is searching for a Lower School Principal, to serve as instructional leader of the Lower School that serves grades PK4 -5th Grade, beginning in July, 2018. North Charleston, SC is a rapidly growing suburb of Charleston that is ranked as one of the fastest growing and best cities in the nation. Cathedral Academy currently serves 296 students in grades PK4-12. Cathedral Academy partners with families to provide a quality academic, Biblically-based education to equip both parents and families to impact their culture for Christ.
The ideal candidate will possess the following characteristics:
Essential Characteristics and Qualifications
- Active believer; growing relationship with Christ
- Gift of leadership; ability to mentor others
- Gift of teaching; ability to serve as instructional leader
- Gift of encouragement
- Understands supervision and implementation of curriculum and instruction
- Elementary classroom teaching experience
- Warm, engaging, confident, non-intimidating personality
- Strong, biblical convictions
- Visible, accessible, approachable
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Advocate for teachers
- Team player
- Collaborative style of leadership
- Dedicated to professional development of self and others
- Researcher/willingness to consider new ideas
- Understands the unique characteristics and challenges of a Christian school
- Possesses a sense of calling
- Exudes joy
Preferred Characteristics and Qualifications
- Previous experience as a principal or division leader
- Experience with a range of grade levels
- Undergraduate degree in elementary education
- Graduate degree in education related field (administration or curriculum preferred)
- Sense of humor
- Comfortable in speaking publicly
- Understands diverse learning styles
- Working knowledge in brain research/learning theory
- Technologically proficient
Preference will be given to candidates who have served in a leadership position in an elementary school setting.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume to the Cathedral Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org
Under direction of the principal, the teacher is assigned to teach students and to fulfill the mission of honoring the Lord Jesus Christ by providing students an education based upon academic excellence and biblical values. The school administration may assign additional duties or specify other functions needed as may be appropriate for specific faculty posts.
ESSENTIAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
PERSONAL BELIEF & BEHAVIOR
- Must be a born-again Christian whose lifestyle and character demonstrate obedience to God and the Holy Scriptures, and express agreement with the doctrinal viewpoints and Christian lifestyle requirements of the school.
- Must be able to serve as a positive Christian role model to others in the Cathedral Academy
- Must be able to accept and support the school’s doctrinal statement.
- Must have an understanding of and commitment to CA’s educational objectives and philosophy of education.
- Must possess sufficient biblical knowledge that enables the teacher to integrate Scripture into subjects taught, thus imparting to the students a biblical worldview position.
- Must faithfully attend a local church whose fundamental beliefs are in agreement with the Statement of Faith of this school.
- Must affirm that working in this Christian school as a teacher is consistent with what he/she believes is pleasing to God and represents a good stewardship of his/her time, talent, and professional abilities.
- Must enjoy working with young people.
- Must possess at least a bachelor’s degree.
- Must possess a valid teaching certificate (ACSI or State License – preferrable South Carolina).
- Must have excellent knowledge of grade level expectations and subject matter and be effective in teaching and maintaining appropriate classroom discipline.
- All new teachers to Cathedral Academy must apply for and receive temporary ACSI certification within (6) months of commencing teaching before being eligible to be considered for a new contract.
- All new teachers must complete the ACSI Philosophy of Christian Education course or its approved equivalent prior to starting the second year of employment.
- All continuing CA teachers must maintain current ACSI certification to be eligible to be considered for a new contract.
INDIVIDUAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Superior interpersonal relationship skills
- Possess physical stamina required to fulfill the professional obligations of the teaching profession and their specific faculty assignment.
- Proficiency in computer and technology applications necessary for the teaching profession.
- Possesses strong oral and written communication skills, including ability to properly use the English language.
- Strong work ethic and self-motivated.
- Effective multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability to schedule and other changes.
- Excellent judgment and discretion.
Before and After School Program
Cathedral Academy has employment openings in the before (6:25am to 8:00am) and after (2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. (M, T, TH, F) and 1:25 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday) school program. Interested individuals should be in good health with a love for elementary age children, a heart commitment to serve Jesus, reliable transportation, and not have small children to take care of at home. The commitment will run the August 2017 to May 2018 school year, with the option of a longer commitment to be determined at the end of the year review. Interested candidates should complete an application form and deliver it to Cindy Woodard in the school office, or email to email@example.com.
Substitute Teacher Positions
CA is accepting applications for Substitute Teachers in both the Elementary and Upper School for the 2017-2018 school year. Interested candidates should complete an application form and deliver it to Cindy Woodard firstname.lastname@example.org.